Tuesday, June 14, 2022

 Early On....

Not long after my sweet husband passed away, our daughter, Crista, and son in law, Patrick, who had been here for a couple of weeks, in my home, as part of my loving care team, invited me to go up to Virginia to visit his mother and father, at his mother's kind request.  Her name is Kathleen.  I have been invited with Danny to go there a few times and there has always been a warm welcome, good food, a comfy bed and everything one would want in a visit.  They never made us feel a stranger.  This time, was no different. 

By the way, Kathleen had nine children, Patrick, being the youngest.  If you look at her here, one would never know.  She is absolutely beautiful and her heart is very compassionate.  I was thrilled to be asked to come and spend more time with Crista and Patrick, since before long, they would have to return to Germany, where he is stationed with the US Army.  

I also longed to be with someone caring, near my age...one whom I felt would understand my needs for "friendship" at this time...and she did.  She said she could not imagine what I felt.  By the way, this couple traveled all the way from Virginia to Danny's funeral Mass and burial.  I need to include that as a misfit sentence, nonetheless..haha...because it adds to what I am talking about..the love. Her husband is a very busy man.  She retired not long and she is older than me...both are, but unlike Danny and I, Phil just wasn't ready to retire. He works in DC and its a serious type work and the drive there and back is long, so he gets home tired enjoys a good meal there, so they aren't a couple that goes alot.  In that respect, Kathleen, does understand some long quiet hours.  We had something in common and to me she does understand how too quiet things can be.  So I enjoyed being with her alot.

While there, she and another friend whose daughter is soon to be married into the family, took me out to a wonderful Mexican gourmet type meal...not just for tacos..in this very cute little place and we had a very nice conversation.  This mother is very loving and both are Catholic too! She was a nurse and looked me straight into my heart with hers and said..."How are YOU doing?"  It was a sweet moment and her intention very sincere.  I felt also at complete ease with her.  It was a time I needed.

Another time, and that is the picture above, was when we decided to go to a winery out in the countryside.  We purchased a lovely cheese, olive, and toasts platter and some wine to taste.  It was so very relaxing. I know that Crista enjoyed being with both of us and that was perfect.  I would not want it any other way.  I know her love for me as her mother is there and it is all I need to know, but being with them both so comfortable was truly a gift and I am so thankful.  I pray for many things that I won't mention here, but God knows my heart and I trust He will bring those things to pass if Kathleen and I keep praying and offering our hearts to our children.  I ask the Lord to bless Crista and Patrick and to help them.  I miss being with my daughter very very much...it is hard...another very difficult tear jerking thing to endure, but I am grateful also that I can pick up the phone and talk with this new found friend, Kathleen, sometimes.  I will always try to just be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment